Wednesday, 29 August 2012

We're making a game!!

Our kids are suckers for online games.   Club penguin, Moshi Monsters and the like.

Today, on a rainy day in the UK, whilst tidying around the house I dreamed up a little project.  "Why don't I make a game?", I mused...I'm just in the process of learning about web development, HTML5, CSS and Javascript but need something meaty to get my teeth into.  "Why not do something really meaty?", I thought.  I'm not artist or graphic designer, but I reckon I could come up with something.

So, there it was, and there, in the kitchen were the kids (3 of them), with their laptops and iPad, playing Moshi Monsters.  The thing is, with those games, the attention span always seems a little short-lived, especially when they're not fully paid members of the game.  I wondered what kind of game they would choose to play if they were given the choice.

And so, about two hours ago I set them the task of brainstorming up a basic concept for a game they might like to play online, and once they've come up with the idea I'm going to start trying to put something together.  I think it might be a difficult uphill struggle, and I'm sure I'll mess it up in places, but you've got to have a try, haven't you.

This blog is my development diary of whatever game it is we come up with.  Feel free to comment or even offer to help (if you're that way inclined).  My initial thoughts for what the game will be is as follows:-
  • Free (initially)
  • Open-source.  I plan to have everything on Github or the like once I've figured it all out.
  • Web-based.  No flash or other technologies used but those already in the browser.
  • Fun! (the most important aspect, I'd say!!)
So, please keep on coming back.  I intend to keep updating as we come up with ideas and I start to flesh this thing out.  It's going to be an interesting journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment